Thursday, September 27, 2012

Fall sensory bin!

I did it!  I made my first "sensory bin" and in celebration of the first day of fall, I made it fall themed.  The theme reiterates what fall means to me (think: leaves, acorns, pine cones, pumpkins, corn, oranges and browns...)  Kids like to touch and feel different textures and things.  I have seen sensory bins on other websites and they say "my kids played with it for hours" and I have to admit, I thought- really?  Did they really play with it that long?  And my answer is- yes!  Yes, they do!  It's so much fun for them!  The main component of mine was rice.  C *loved* to pour it in and out of bottles and funnels, run his hands through it making train tracks, and sorting and moving around the little pumpkin jewels and glitter and silk leaves.  I added some dry beans and C was pretending to build a pumpkin patch and he would bury and plant the seeds, then they would "pop open into a pumpkin"!  I really had to watch N though because some of the things were too little and he puts things in his mouth still.  But overall, it was a big hit!





When it gets closer to Halloween, I'm going to add a few things related to that. I'm looking forward to making a Christmas one.  I think the secret will be to not let it sit out for too long to become just another toy.  Take it out, put it away, make it special.  Rice... who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment